RideTech Logo
« Newsletter Signup   |  Media   |  Free Catalog   |  Call Us: 812.481.4787  |   Email: sales@ridetech.com

Go Back   ridetech.com | Air Ride Technologies > Tech & Products

Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 AM
0 to 30 Post
RideTech Forum Member

A few questions about Coolride and '62 Impala

Hello all, I recently started to rebuild all of my suspension components on my 62' Impala. I have a front and rear Coolride kit using the original control arms. My first question refers to step 8 in the instructions where it says to drill a 1/2" hole, 7 3/4" from the cross shaft bolt. Is the way I have it marked out in the picture the correct way to measure for this hole? The center in blue being the "height" of the control arm or would it be from the top of that lip to the top of the control arm? (I do realize that the hole will be on the rear of the control arm, I'm just using this picture for two of my questions.)

My second question refers to step 9, where it says to shorten the sway bar end link to 2" tall. Will that be the measurement in yellow or orange in my picture?

And my third and final question. What precautions do I have to take in the future with the front and rear air ride installed when lifting the car on a two post lift?

Thank you for any and all help. I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

Instructions for the front Coolride - http://www.ridetech.com/pdfinstructi...s/ARF10600.pdf

Old 04-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Step 8:
You have it correct. Measure 7.75" from the center of the bolt holding the control arm to the frame. Drill a hole in the center of the arm (just as you have marked).
This provides a location to mount the shock absorber.

Step 9:
This will the yellow on your image. Ideally you want to set the car at ride height, then set the sway bar parallel to the ground.

Putting on a Lift:
1-drive car into position at normal ride height
2-position arms of lift under car
3-raise lift until arms touch vehicle chassis (typically the front will touch first, so we stop then)
4-fully deflate the vehicle allowing the chassis to properly rest on the lift arms

The only thing you have to worry about is that if left inflated the air spring will continue to "push" when the car is lifted (opposed to a steel spring which will stop "pushing" once it reaches its free length). If the air spring is not limited it could tear itself apart (think of placing an air spring on a bench and adding air. Depending on the style and design it may keep pushing until the ends come off.)
Fortunately the Impala kit uses double convoluted air springs on all four corners, which are much less susceptible to damage from over extension.

www.projectAWDcamaro.com
Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 PM
0 to 30 Post
RideTech Forum Member

Thank you very much for your help. I'll post a few pictures once I get it set up. Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 PM
0 to 30 Post
RideTech Forum Member

Thought I would provide a bit of an update. If interested you can review my suspension rebuild here

http://www.impalas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5587

Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Nice ride. I like the steelies with the dog dish hub caps, very classic looking. Thanks for posting it.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 PM
RideTech Forum Member

Here is my 62 chassis and a picture of the car now. I still don't have everything wired but getting closer.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Lookin good Kevin!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 AM
0 to 30 Post
RideTech Forum Member

That looks damn good. If I knew I could get my body laser straight I might think about painting my car black, but when the time comes it'll probably be something else.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 AM
0 to 30 Post
RideTech Forum Member

Bringing back an old topic, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. Could you guys share the wheel and tire specs that you have on your gold project '62 with the Torq Thrusts? Backspacing, tire sizes, etc. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 PM
0 to 30 Post
RideTech Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick62 View Post
Bringing back an old topic, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. Could you guys share the wheel and tire specs that you have on your gold project '62 with the Torq Thrusts? Backspacing, tire sizes, etc. Thanks.
To the top. Anyone?