Day 1 Goodguys Texas Road Tour with Bret Voelkel

You guys probably think that all I do is cruise from one cool car show to the next fun race. That’s because I don’t write about the boring stuff…nobody cares about that!
This weeks escapade is the Goodguys muscle car Tour. About 35 of the countries coolest Hotrods are driving from Pleasanton ca to ft. Worth Texas over the next 7 days, ending up at the Ft. Worth Goodguys show next weekend. (EVENT SCHEDULE) I’ll do my best to take pictures and add comments about the tour this next week.
We’re driving our 71 GTO convertible on the tour. For an Indiana boy, it’s nearly a surreal experience to be cruising along the sunny California highways with the top down visiting some crazy shops and car collections with this group of hotrodders.
After leaving Goodguys headquarters in Pleasanton at noon we stopped by Dennis Varni’s shop in San Jose. Real Hotrods love here…an indycar hanging from the ceiling, a 317mph bonneville car being wrenched on, several historical land speed racers sitting around, and a polished aluminum cobra with a 427 SOHC engine!
The next stop was Campbell Auto Restoration. Lots of cool stuff projects there…so many that I flat forgot to take any pictures. Oh, well, I was there 🙂 Today is a short day as we’re speeding the evening in Morgan hill. Tomorrows route takes us to Bakersfield. Forecast: sunny, 85, and fun! More tomorrow!

Bret Voelkel

photo (6) Getting our goodie bags for the trip. Goodguys really went to a lot of work setting up this tour!

photo (1) Jack Trepanier and Greg Schneider looking lost as usual!

photo (2)Very cool stuff from the shop of Dennis Varni.

photo (3)The ceiling ornament is an indycar from the mid 70’s built by Lil John Buttera

photo (4)I’ve got this thing for bare metal…especially when it’s SOHC powered!

photo (5)
Just a small selection of the cars on the tour. High end stuff.