Day 5 & 6 Goodguys Texas Road Tour with Bret Voelkel

Day 5 globe, AZ to Albuquerque,NM

Not many pictures today because we were either driving on mountain roads with 1000 drop offs or working on a car in a parking lot.
First thing this morning the coil died on Roger Ritzows 56 Chrysler. A simple problem, once we spent 2 hours figuring it out. That put us on the road about 10:00, 2 hours after the main group. No complaints, this truly is the fun part!
The drive between Globe and Holbrook, NM is stunning. With the 1000 ft elevation change, I would not recommend it for a motor home or truck and trailer, but in a car it is definitely worth the detour. I couldn’t get any pictures because the visual effect of canyons is frankly a little disorienting. A two dimensional picture couldn’t do it justice anyway.
At Holbrook we got on I40 the rest of way to Albuquerque. Not as breathtaking as the canyons, but still a fun drive.
After a thousand miles of trouble free driving, the GTO decided to not run. We changed the fuel pump and filter in a parking lot in Gallup, NM. Better, still not great, but we made it to Albuquerque about 8:00. Tomorrow, on to Amarillo…hopefully.

Day 6 Albuquerque to Amarillo

When you drop into Albuquerque at night it looks like Los Angeles…lights everywhere! In the light of morning, the desert is just as beautiful…55 degrees and so clear you can see for miles. Our first stop was for lunch in Tucumcari, NM, about 130 miles. They have a cool stretch of the old Route 66 highway that is the main drag in town. They’ve gone to quote a bit of effort to preserve many of the old building a businesses. After Tucumcari it’s straight on to Amarillo to Mark Warick’s place. This is a car guys heaven. Finished Hotrods, vintage tin, memorabilia…it would put most museums to shame.
Mark was also gracious enough to let us work on our POS GTO. (They’re all a POS when they don’t run) we rerouted the EFI return line away from the engine in an attempt to get the car to run more than 150 miles at a time. Thanks to Moose from Trepaniers shop for the desert rescue and delivery to Amarillo!
Tomorrow…on to Ft. Worth. We’ll see if the GTO cooperates or if I set it on fire. BTW…the GTO is for sale 🙂

Bret Voelkel

32 fords
One of several barn find 32 fords sitting around.

bikes
So many bikes they had to stack em!

full trunkA ten day trip means a full trunk.

indianCheck out the size of the Indian sign.

jack troyJack and Troy Trepanier diagnosing Ritzows 56 Chrysler in Globe,NM.

kixA few of us stopped at the Kix 66 diner in tucumcari, NM for lunch.

sign 66

mark foodMark put out a spread for dinner. BBQ was great!

warricksMore of the Warrick collection.