Goodguys Texas Road Tour Event Summary with Bret Voelkel

Day…sorry, I’ve been on this tour so long I can’t remember what day it is…

After the week we’ve had and the shops we’ve seen I cannot imagine improving on the experience. We left Amarillo this morning for the final leg to Ft. Worth. Our first stop today is in Wellington Texas at Bob Owens Salvage Yard. This is a time capsule that could as easily be set in 1970 instead of 2013. Acres of Chevy, Ford and Mopar relics nicely preserved by the arid north Texas climate. And unlike many of these graveyards…everything is for sale!
I love driving in Texas…the roads are in good shape, straight as an arrow, and the speed limit is 75mph on a two lane blacktop! I guess when a trip to “town” is sometimes 100 miles you don’t have time to mess around with 55mph.
I was hoping that the fuel line changes we made yesterday to the GTO would resolve the heat soak problem that we’ve been having after about 150 miles. Wrong again. Thanks again to Moose from Trepaniers shop for hauling the GTO carcass the rest of the way to Ft. Worth. As soon as I get home I’m installing a new TANKS, Inc. EFI ready fuel tank. They have a unit that includes the in-tank EFI fuel pump that is a drop in. Too bad I didn’t figure this out a month ago.
It has been several years since I’ve had the opportunity to drive across the country in a hotrod. My job seems to prevent such frivolity. I have to say this has been one of the more fun trips of my life. I’ve tried to show the tangible highlights…the shops, the cars, the sights. What I have not been able to convey is the enormity of this country. For those who live in a populated area it seems inconceivable that there is WAY more unpopulated land in this country than there is populated. In some places you can literally see as far as the curvature of the earth. In others you are surrounded by mountains and canyons with 1000 ft elevation changes. In some places people are living in tin shacks the size of a yardbarn.
The other intangible was the enthusiasm of the people on the tour, both the participants and the shop owners. ALL the shop owners were completely proud and honored to open their shops for us…and made sure we are all well fed and watered.
To see guys like Troy Trepanier, George Poteet, Jesse Greening, Josh Goolsby, and Gary Meadors thoroughly enjoy every aspect of this trip was inspiring. These guys have been at this a long time at a high level…they’ve all seen and done lots of cool hotrod stuff. But all of us saw things on this trip that were cooler than anything to date. That’s why we’ll be doing this again next year.
To Ed Capen and the entire Goodguys organization, thank you for the honor of participating in this trip. It was an exhausting shot in the arm for the soul!

Bret Voelkel

smashWe couldn’t figure out what kind of car this compacted cube used to be.

crustyWe’ve all seen salvage yard vehicles… This one was among the more crusty I’ve seen!

Bob OwensBob Owens’ personal shop. Cool stuff lives here.

Man CaveMore of Bob’s man cave.

Never End…it never seems to end!

BananaA 39 cent banana laying in the backseat of a 56 Chrysler that is worth considerably more. It struck me as cool…I don’t know why. Guess I’m getting a little punchy by now 🙂

2DSC_0001 (241) The GTO’s new fuel tank, pump, and sending unit from Yogi and the other fine people at YOGI’s & TANKS Inc. Stay tuned for a complete install article. (YOGI’S) (TANKS Inc)