air ride control arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air ride control arms

I have been looking at the air ride control arms for my ' 59 El Camino and I have a couple of questions. I assume that the upper control arms can be used with normal coil spring suspension but are the lower control arms only suitable for air ride or are they compatible with stock springs. I recall reading somewhere that air springs aren' t as good as coil springs when it comes to handling although they offer ride height and load adjustability. Is this true in your opinion. I noticed sway bars in your catalog and I remember reading that sway bars didn' t work well with air bags. Have you developed a sway bar specific for air bags and does it work as well or better than coil springs. I would like to order some " Strong Arms" control arms for my Elky but I want to be sure this is the best way to go. I am not planning on carrying much load and I am not very interested in raising and lowering the car at cruises and such. Thanks for any info that can help me, Kelly.

RE: air ride control arms

i can address a few of your questions.

I am not planning on carrying much load and I am not very interested in raising and lowering the car at cruises and such.
    this raises a flag as to what is your reasoning behind the suspension then? you can get a great ride with the right spring and strut/shock combos at a much more affordable price. the whole reason behind air ride is you get a much larger range of adjustment with great ride at varying levels but if you aren' t wanting to adjust much i' m not sure why you would want air.

I recall reading somewhere that air springs aren' t as good as coil springs when it comes to handling although they offer ride height and load adjustability.
    where was it that you read this? i went through everything in my suspension changes from lowering springs to coilovers looking for the best ride and adjustment. air ride technologies has hands down the best equipment yet that i' ve put on the car. i get complete adjustment which was what i wanted and the ride is incredible. if for some reason it' s a little loose i can just adjust my struts/shocks or add/subtract air and it rides just like my expensive eibach springs did.

i thought about doing air on my car for years when it wasn' t really the " hip" thing to do. there have been alot of advancements in the products themselves over the last few years with help from companies like air ride technologies. now that i have it on my car i couldn' t be happier. wish i had followed my heart in the beginning and went with it rather then waisting money on other suspensions that weren' t what i wanted.

anyhow good luck with your choices...

Comment

RE: air ride control arms

If you' re wanting to use your Elky for racing, then you' ll be better off with a set of coil springs. For anything else, an air suspension system should suit you just fine. With a 4-way control system, and properly sized swaybars, an air suspension can be made to handle quite well.

The ' 59 Delivery I recently put on air rides better than it did with coil springs and has no more body roll, even though it only uses a puny stock front swaybar and none in back.

My ' 92 Caprice wagon is also on air, using a set of Shockwaves up front. It actually handles better than stock, and is on par with our ' 94-96 Impala SS' s (we have 3). It also only has the factory sway bar up front (albeit beefier than the ' 59' s) and none in back. The Impalas have factory " sport" suspensions and stiffer lowering springs.

So, to summarize, a properly selected air suspension can perform as well or better than standard coil spring version. However, a coil spring suspension will still be the best choice for a race style setup.

Comment

Working...
      X