Mecum Blog – Day 3

The Ridetech crew is at the Mecum Auction selling our 1967 Chevelle SS. Bret Voelkel, president of Ridetech, sent in his final report from the Mecum auction:

“The Chevelle didn’t meet the reserve. I was a bit surprised given the conversations I’d had during the week and the pricing trends on Thursday. It came very close, but the bidding stalled at $47,000. I’m not revealing the reserve quite yet because I’ve still got ongoing conversations with at least 2 solid guys. I’m still confident we’ll go home with an empty trailer, or at least with a different car in the trailer.

Friday is cloudy, cool and windy…and significantly more crowded. The prices are stronger as well…people know the cars get better (and more expensive) as the week goes on. I’m still a little dumbfounded that so many cars are sitting around dirty and unattended. The 36 Ford I’m looking at has a weeks worth of dust on it and no owner or caretaker in sight. Maybe it’s just me, but I’d really like to talk to someone about some of the details on that car. It will make the difference between buying the car or not. In reality, that one is likely a $70,000 unit…too much for me right now.

We did try to bid on a 76 Caddillac convertible for my buddy Albert Melchior yesterday. We figured it was a $20,000-25,000 car….it went for $36,000! happy seller!

I’ve decided that if I don’t get my original reserve price out of the car I’ll take it home and drive it. It’s just too nice a car to compromise the price. There’s just nothing about the car I don’t like! I might pick out something else to sell later…anyone need a great 71 GTO convertible?

I’m not sure what I would do different at the next auction to make a car more sellable. A Friday or Saturday sale time souls help, but there are only so many of those. Maybe some extra pre auction promotion? Hard to say. A different day, a different auction…a different price. I’m still working on two guys here so I’ll keep you updated after the weekend if the Chevelle sells or not. Until then…!”

Almost…but not quite.

Here’s that 36 Ford coupe I’ve been talking about. If you own this car, wipe it off and come and talk to me!

I even got my kids in on this deal. Who could refuse a Chevelle flyer from these two!

Hard to tell in a picture, but this car is tight, tight, tight…the definition of “laser straight”.

It may or may not be your style, but this old Ford is a kickass piece!

I didn’t dare ask a price, but these restored bowling games were cool as hell.