E3 display wont turn on and system compressors run constant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E3 display wont turn on and system compressors run constant

Hey everyone, i need some help. I have an older e3 system installed on an 57 chevy pickup and it has worked great for the last 5+ years and was working fine up until this past weekend. When i turned the car on and tried to inflate the bags i noticed the the compressors would run no matter if the key was in the the truck or not; the only way to get it to stop was to disconnect it from the battery. At the same time the e3 display will no longer turn on. Nothing has been touched on the truck for it to all of a sudden stop working. I have checked all wires, fuses and even changed the battery but nothing seems to fix it.

any suggestions or help would greatly be appreciated, at this time i really dont want to spend the cash to purchase an entire new control system

thanks in advance

Nick

Hmm, that's strange. For how long did you have that 57 chevy? Is it 2nd hand?

Comment

Hey nope it was installed by me new years ago and just stopped working on the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by nmet1985 View Post
        Hey everyone, i need some help. I have an older e3 system installed on an 57 chevy pickup and it has worked great for the last 5+ years and was working fine up until this past weekend. When i turned the car on and tried to inflate the bags i noticed the the compressors would run no matter if the key was in the the truck or not; the only way to get it to stop was to disconnect it from the battery. At the same time the e3 display will no longer turn on. Nothing has been touched on the truck for it to all of a sudden stop working. I have checked all wires, fuses and even changed the battery but nothing seems to fix it.

any suggestions or help would greatly be appreciated, at this time i really dont want to spend the cash to purchase an entire new control system

thanks in advance

Nick
        Hi Nick. Would you be able to post a picture of your compressors? So I can see which ones you have?

Comment

hey i am not by the truck at this time but i had purchased the completed Ridetech kit that came with the black Thomas Compressor, does that help

Comment

Yes that does help, thank you. Wanted to know what compressor we were working with here. We used to use a compressor made by AMK for a few years when we were still offering the e3 that could ground thru the body of the compressor & would run all the time if something accidentally grounded the body of the compressor.

But that is not the case with the Thomas pumps, they ground thru the black wire via the e3 ECU (The ECU turns the pump ON or OFF by switching the ground to the pump). So if your pump is running constantly even with the key OFF, definitely sounds like the circuit inside the ECU that controls the compressor ground has shorted. You haven't jump started the truck with a jump starter recently have you?

Comment

Hey thanks for the info, yes we did jump start it but with a battery charger and not booster cables if that helps? Is there anyway to repair the short of that is the case? I spent yesterday tracing ask the lines but couldn't find an external wire, ground or hookup issue. As the control won't turn on either I am going to assume it's the ecu

Comment

Originally posted by nmet1985 View Post
                Hey thanks for the info, yes we did jump start it but with a battery charger and not booster cables if that helps? Is there anyway to repair the short of that is the case? I spent yesterday tracing ask the lines but couldn't find an external wire, ground or hookup issue. As the control won't turn on either I am going to assume it's the ecu
                So you jump started the truck to get it running & then you noticed the issue with the e3?

Pretty good chance the jump start is what created the issue. That is something I have seen happen multiple times over the years with the e3. Jump starters or battery booster packs can and will damage the ECU.
                Unfortunately there's not really much you can do with an ECU that is shorted internally at this point realistically. It would pretty much be trash for lack of a better word.

Comment

Working...
                X