Ridetech Home Forums Tech & Products 12v power wire for compressor and battery

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MattM1683MattM1683

Tony or anyone:

Is a 12v power wire of 12ga or larger going to be powerful enough to run from the battery of my truck to the compressor? I went to a local Home Depot and they seem to think that it’ s not strong enough. Their saying it’ s not a large enough wire to draw power from the battery to the compressor. They think it will ruin my compressor. Can u help me out here? Thanks in advance!
    -Matt M-

BAGGEDBIRDS.comBAGGEDBIRDS.com

RE: 12v power wire for compressor and battery

I would use at least a 10ga. wire for the length of a car. I think its always better to over size than undersize.

syclnjrsyclnjr

To give you an idea I ran a 4 gauge to both my relay for both my compressors in my s-10 and i have absolutely no problems at all
    mike

darren@ridetech.comdarren@ridetech.com

Matt, which compressor do you have?
    If you are using the 327 12ga. should be fine.
    If it’ s the Viair 400 I would use 8-10.
    As a rule of thumb always use at least the same diameter wire coming out of the compressor, if not one size larger.

MattM1683MattM1683

Darren: I’ m using the 327 series compressor. I was at Home Depot and they didnt know what they were talking about. I knew the 12ga 12volt wire was what I needed. I also figured that I needed to get the same diameter of the wire thats coming out of the compressor. I just wanted to make sure. The last thing I want to do is blow my compressor. Thanks for your help!
    -Matt M-

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.