Ridetech Home Forums Tech & Products Advice for 68 Firebird project

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Frank - 68 FirebirdFrank – 68 Firebird

Hello,
    I am looking for advice for my 68 Firebird 350 Convertible 4 speed. The car has been restored to running condition for about 20 years now. It is completely stock, and handles and stops terribly. So, I am thinking of some component upgrades this year. The car is a Sunday driver, no racing, no dragging, and not even that much fooling around anymore due to safety and ride.

Car stats:

• Firebird 350
    • Convertible
    • 4 Speed Manual
    • Rear dual leaf (replaced in ’96)
    • 3.55 Safe-t-track rear (rebuilt and installed in ’96)
    • Non-AC car
    • 14″ Rally II wheels (I want to keep the 14″ Rally IIs)
    • 4 wheel drum manual brakes
    • Stock everything

I am looking at installing the Streetgrip package and simultaneously installing a front disk conversion from drums to power discs (using one of the 14″ wheel compatible conversions from The Right Stuff or ABS power brake).

Specific Questions:
    Are there any thoughts on conflicts or issues with the Streetgrip and a bolt-on aftermarket disk brake conversion kit using the factory spindles?
    Are there any other things (without breaking the bank) should be completed at the same time as the Streetgrip install?
    Is there anything that is not included with the Streetgrip that I HAVE to buy for the installation?
    Any issues with the Streetgrip and a convertible first gen (versus the coupe)?

Any suggestions or other thoughts? Again, this is just meant to clean up the ride to make a sporty enjoyable ride and stop. Not looking to go to the track or drag strip.

I would also appreciate anyone’s experience with the 14″ Rally II disc brake conversation with certain wheel codes (JJ and JA)…

Thanks and stay safe,
    Frank

Matt MillerMatt Miller

Hi Frank

Damn good looking 1st Gen Firebird sir! Really clean looking car! As far as your specific questions about the StreetGrip,

Are there any thoughts on conflicts or issues with the Streetgrip and a bolt-on aftermarket disk brake conversion kit using the factory spindles? Shouldn’t be an issue at all. With the StreetGrip, you’re still using your factory control arms & spindles, so doing a disc brake conversion on your stock spindles shouldn’t be an issue.

Are there any other things (without breaking the bank) should be completed at the same time as the Streetgrip install? If you haven’t already, I’d suggest also replacing any steering components that might be worn or loose, like tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm when you were to install the StreetGrip

Is there anything that is not included with the Streetgrip that I HAVE to buy for the installation? Something I consider a MUST in addition to the StreetGrip would be the bushing installation/removal tool for replacing the OEM bushings in your control arms with the delrin bushings in the StreetGrip. It’s a $100 that makes life a lot easier installing those bushings.
    https://www.ridetech.com/product/bushing-installation-removal-tool/

Any issues with the Streetgrip and a convertible first gen (versus the coupe)? No sir. Install is the same for both coupe & convertible

Any suggestions or other thoughts? Again, this is just meant to clean up the ride to make a sporty enjoyable ride and stop. Not looking to go to the track or drag strip.
    One other suggestion I’d make as an upgrade that would compliment the StreetGrip is a Borgeson steering box. It’s an excellent upgrade over the factory steering box with a little bit quicker ratio & tight, more modern steering response.
    https://www.ridetech.com/product/borgeson-12-7-1-600-series-steering-box/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.