Ridetech Home Forums Tech & Products Shockwaves and high pressure fittings and leaks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DaddyDevilleCharles Broadfoot
    Participant

I have a set of shockwaves on my Cadillac with 1/4″ tubing running from the bag all the way to the trunk. They have to be run at 135PSI to keep the car at a travel height, but they tend to flatten out over 2-3 days. I have check fittings into the valve body and we have no leaks. In addition, the rear has no issues maintaining inflation. My believe is that its the fitting on the front two bags as they both sag after a few days.

Question 1:
    The fittings on the bags that came with the kit I believe are the 1/4 swivel (https://www.ridetech.com/product/1-4-x-1-4-swivel-elbow/) which when looking online appear to have a max air pressure rating of 145. As the hat on the bag that the fitting plugs into is plastic, can I assume that I can swap that fitting out for a solid brass elbow?

Question 2:
    Hardlines vs. softlines seem to be a religious debate. Any thoughts on running a hardline from the shockwave bag to a position that is outside of OEM suspension spring cup that the bag is enclosed in? This way i could at least test for leaks between the hard and soft lines without pulling the bag out of the car.

Thank you in advance!

Josh@RidetechJosh Gladish

If you’re not finding any leaks with a soapy water/solution, it sounds like the air is leaking past the plungers in the valve and going out through the exhaust ports. I would recommend watching this video on servicing the solenoid block and then checking yours out: https://www.ridetech.com/tech/solenoid-valve-service/

The fittings that come with the kit will work well past 145psi (I’ve had several customers runt them on 200psi systems, that’s not your issue here). Could you swap them? Yes, but I don’t believe that’s the root of the problem.

The hardline vs softline is more of a preference. We stick with the nylon based tubing for a few reasons: less expensive to work with, easier to get a better connection, and when you have to repair a section making a splice or new line isn’t hard to do. You also want the lines to flex some as the suspension compresses and extends.

The easiest test (if you haven’t done it already) is to pressurize everything and take some soapy water (or the bubble soap you would buy in the toy’s section) and spray everything down. Spray the bag, fittings, lines, valve block, compressors, etc….basically everything you see. If you see bubbles anywhere, give that area some attention. Let me know if you need any help!

***One thing I did just notice, if you have the Shockwaves with the composite tops, the fitting can’t be changed. We don’t have problems with the plastic fittings leaking so no need to do anything different in the bellow 😀

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Josh@RidetechJosh Gladish.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Josh@RidetechJosh Gladish.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.